Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Why database is corrupted after re-booting

Andrus wrote:
If data on your disk gets corrupted then NOTHING can guarantee to recover your database - not PG, not Firebird, not Oracle.

Richard,

thank you for reply. I ask my questing more presicely:

I have configuration like in my previous message. Hardware (IDE drive, computer) and software (Windows XP) works according to vendor specifications.

If I turn power off by breaking power cord when Postgres server is busy, is it possible that
after that SELECT * FROM anytable does not work ?

It is always *possible*, but if your system isn't caching writes then it is *very very* unlikely. The tricky bit is that a lot of IDE drives don't really disable the write-cache.

You should really test properly, but a quick way to know is to run a series of single inserts, each in their own transaction. If you get more transactions than the speed (rpm) of the disk then you know it *must* be caching.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd