Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Oracle buys Innobase

On 10/8/2005 4:34 AM, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:

Bruce Momjian <pgman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
Ultimately, MySQL should drop InnoDB.

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?3,48400,48400#msg-48400

InnoDB is GPL. But, i'm also confused.

My guess: a fork in the future.

This whole GPL forking thing is still the same as it was before. One can only take the last version, released under GPL, and build a GPL-only project based on it.

Oracle bought the copyright of InnoDB with the company. So if anything goes wrong during their upcoming relicensing talk, MySQL can of course fork off a GPL version of InnoDB, but that fork cannot be included in their commercial version of MySQL. What value would that fork have for them then? Using a pure GPL fork of InnoDB is in conflict with their own licensing scheme and I don't think MySQL is in the position to say bye to dual licensing.

To have a really good position when talking to Oracle, MySQL will need to brush up on the BDB support, and that pretty quick.

Jan

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq