Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SELECT FOR SHARE and FOR UPDATE

[Please copy the mailing list on replies so others can participate
in and learn from the discussion.]

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 11:16:08AM +0400, Ilja Golshtein wrote:
> I started to believe SELECT ... FOR SHARE is the remedy for my
> problems.  Unfortunately it is not till I cannot combine share and
> exclusive locks for different tables in one query.
>
> I wonder if this limitation is fundamental or such a mixing of
> lock modes could be allowed in future releases?  I badly need this
> feature.

The documentation says "It is currently not allowed," which suggests
that perhaps it could be allowed in a future version.  Don't expect
to see it in 8.1, however, since that version is long past feature
freeze.  I don't recall how much, if any, discussion there was on
this; search the pgsql-hackers archives to find out.

Could you tell us more about what you're doing?  Maybe there's
another way to achieve it.

--
Michael Fuhr