Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Dump all except some tables?

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:47:26AM +0300, WireSpot wrote:
> On 10/7/05, David Fetter <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Here's my thoughts on a summary:
> >
> > [-t [table | glob]]...            # 0 or more -t options
> > [-T [table | glob]]...            # 0 or more -T options
> > [--include-tables-from-file f]
> > [--exclude-tables-from-file f]
> >
> > where globs get expanded just the way they are in psql, and the
> > exclude is evaluated after the include to remove any tables where
> > they might conflict.  I don't think regex matching is needed or
> > good.
> >
> > Does this make sense?
>
> Sure does, and it looks good.
>
> But... will the resulting dump be consistent as far as foreign keys
> are concerned? Or will the current -t warning still apply (YMMV as
> to the consistency of the resulting dump)?

I think the latter is better.  This is solidly in the realm of prying
off cover plates, and the warning is already there :)

> If it's my job to ensure foreign key consistency, an option that
> only dumps foreign keys and/or omits the foreign keys from the dump
> would also be essential... Grepping a full dump, as I said, is not
> nice, plus the foreign keys are multi-line which complicates
> grepping.

I think we can avoid a giant rat hole here by not trying to follow
foreign keys.  Can we consider following foreign keys a separate
feature for later discussion and just go with the (not totally
trivial) considerations of schema and table inclusion and exclusion?

Cheers,
David Fetter david@xxxxxxxxxx http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

       match