Search Postgresql Archives

shared Locks

Hi group,

I have the following problem:

We have developed a ERP/PPS Developed with pgsql over the last 4 years. Now we introduce it on some of our customers {pgsql works great and gets good ratings :-)} and so we have to change Tablestructure and so on very often. For technologie reasons every clients starts a Connection and holds it until the client terminates his program.

So if we want to change a table structure (add a field or sth like this) many clients own AccessShareLock's because it seams that a simple SELECT * FROM table will grant a AccessShareLock and don't release it unitl the connection is terminated. Is that true? Is it is possible to release this lock without a disconnect? {Problem is that about 30 users has to disconnect sometimes. :-( }

thnx for comments,
Daniel