Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgresql replication

Chris Travers wrote:
I guess I am thinking along different lines than you. I was thinking that the simplest solution would be to have master/slave replication for *approved* transactions only and no replication for initial commits prior to approval. This makes the assumption that a single transaction will be committed on a single server, and that a single transaction will not be split over multiple servers. In this way, you can commit a pending transaction to any single server, and when it is approved, it gets replicated via the master. See below for more.

This works if you don't care that multiple servers commit transactions that force a budget or bank account to be exceeded.

Thinking about this.... The big issue is that you only want to replicate the deltas, not the entire account. I am still thinking master/slave, but something where the deltas are replicated in the background or where the user, in checking his account, is actually querying the home server. This second issue could be done via dblink or DBI-Link and would simply require that a master table linking the accounts with home servers be replicated (this should, I think, be fairly low-overhead).

Except what you know have is your system fails if any server fail or is inaccessible.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq