Search Postgresql Archives

Re: do separate databases have any impact each other?

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 01:15:03PM -0700, TJ O'Donnell wrote:

While writing installation instructions for my new PostgreSQL product, I found myself
writing the following sentence:
"For first time users, we recommend building the gnova database,
since it has no impact on other databases."

A problem not mentioned already is that if your database contains a C
function and it has a bug which results in a crash, your whole
production database will go down.  This may not be desirable.

Well I have the perfect solution for that.... <grin>
I just won't write any buggy code!
Seriously, this could be a problem, especially since there is
3rd party software involved, too.  Guess I've opened myself up for some
serious testing procedures.  That's a good thing.
Since I'm writing in C++ with a thin interface to C for pg,
I catch a lot of nasty situtations which used to crash my C programs.

TJ

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq