Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Stopping Postgres

I'm using PG 8.0.1 on Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.10 SMP) on Pentium 4 w/ HT.

I run the following as root:

su postgres -c "pg_ctl stop -D /var/lib/postgresql/data -m fast"

Or with -m immediate. Some of the backends stop but others never shutdown. Even if I do a killall postmaster (just with sigterm, not -9), these backends hang around. The backends are currently executing queries but the queries stop running at this point.

I'm not starting the server with pg_ctl, I run postmaster by hand. Perhaps there is something in my init script that is to blame.

Cheers
David

Tom Lane wrote:
David Mitchell <david.mitchell@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

What is the best way to quickly and reliably stop postgres? We've found that pg_ctl doesn't work for us very well, frequently failing to actually stop the postmaster (it times out and reports that it has failed to stop). This is the same even if we use -m immediate.

pg_ctl always works for me (and I use it several times a day ;-)).
What PG version are you using, on what platform?  Is it possible
you've got permissions problems?

			regards, tom lane

--
David Mitchell