Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ERROR: could not open relation

From this thread, these two bits about PostgreSQL stand out:

"I have an old note to myself that persistent write errors could "clog"
the bgwriter, because I was worried that after an error it would
stupidly try to write the same buffer again instead of trying to make
progress elsewhere.  (CVS tip might be better about this, I'm not sure.)
A dirty buffer for a file that doesn't exist anymore would certainly
qualify as a persistent failure."

and

"Hmm ... a SELECT from one of the "actual tables" would then scan the
temp tables too, no?

Thinking about this, I seem to recall that we had agreed to make the
planner ignore temp tables of other backends when expanding an
inheritance list --- but I don't see anything in the code implementing
that, so it evidently didn't get done yet."

I don't immediately see TODO items correpsonding to these. Should there be some? Or do these qualify as bugs and should they be submitted to that queue?

Thanks again to all developers and community folk who lent insight into this error -- diagnosis and recovery (which was, thankfully, virtually non-existent).

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect

Strategic Open Source: Open Your i™