Search Postgresql Archives

Authentication blues

I'm working on a PL/SQL set of functions to handle user access restrictions to particular tables and am wondering:

- Is it "safe" to use postgresql authentication? Should I (like a LOT of apps do) build my own authentication tables and just use a common login/password for the application?

I'm honestly curious. My own suspicion is postgres authentication (using postgres users/groups) is .. for the most part... safer.

also - are there any examples of per-record restrictions on a username basis in pl/sql? I've been working on this a couple weeks and am stuck - and can't find any examples on either postgresql or oracle. (Oracle has the feature built-in from what I can tell...)

Ta!