Cc: <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:25 AM
Subject:  Explain Analyse never returns .. maybe a bug

Hi all,

 I stop the following statement after 3 minutes....

  explain analyse select *
       From IC
where IC.ICNUM NOT IN (select IRICNUM from IR WHERE IRSTATUT in (1, 2))

I'm using 8.0.3 on windows.
Is that a know bug ?

David,

Remember that EXPLAIN ANALYZE actually RUNS the query. It may actually be taking 3+ minutes to run the query. How large are the tables? What does EXPLAIN (without ANALYZE) say? Have you run the query without EXPLAIN ANALYZE to know how long it normally takes--what is the basis for suggesting that 3 minutes is "too long"?

Sean