Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL

Tom Lane wrote:
Performance?

I'll run some benchmarks tomorrow, as it's rather late in my time zone. If anyone wants to post some benchmark results, they are welcome to.

I disagree completely with the idea of forcing this behavior for all
datatypes.  It could only be sensible for fairly wide values; you don't
save enough to justify the lossiness otherwise.

I think it would be premature to decide about this before we see some performance numbers. I'm not fundamentally opposed, though.

[ BTW, posting patches to pgsql-general seems pretty off-topic. ]

Not any more than discussing implementation details is :) But your point is well taken, I'll send future patches to -patches.

-Neil

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq