Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Load balancing of write queries among health-checked nodes

On Mon, Oct 7, 2024 at 11:04 PM <me+postgres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello. I have a PostgreSQL high availability cluster with Pgpool-II, but I don't use the virtual IP feature so my clients don't know which node to send queries to. DNS round-robin is not a solution because it can't distinguish between healthy and dead nodes.

I thought about having a Pgpool-II instance on each client (client Pgpool-II -> cluster Pgpool-II -> PostgreSQL), but AFAIK it can't distribute write queries. I also know that libpq may have multiple nodes to connect, but I need an advanced health check because a node may have connectivity but be separated from the whole cluster so it must be considered dead.

Isn't that multi-master clustering?

--
Death to <Redacted>, and butter sauce.
Don't boil me, I'm still alive.