Search Postgresql Archives

PgBackRest Ideal N/W need to provisioned ?

List,

I am doing a full backup  using PgBackRest from a production server to Reposerver.

My connection is  IPSec VPN over ILL  ( 8 Mbps link) between the   Production DB Server and  the remote RepoServer.

I understood the  bottleneck of 8 Mbps between servers. (Server NICs 10Gbps and switch 10G)

The current size of the production DB   data dir  500GB  can grow upto 1 TB  to 2 TBs during a time span of one year from today.

Query : I have started the  backup command  and it is running (may go for hours and days as link speed is minimal, right now it is achieved only 25GB/500 GB copied from 10:55 Hrs to  22:00 Hrs) .

What should be the ideal connectivity without over provisioning the bandwidth, but doing a full backup must finish within acceptable time duration.

I mean the connectivity btw. production server to Repo server
 i) ILL with SSL VPN btw  servers
ii) OR MPLS between  servers ?
iii) what should be the ideal bandwidth  required considering the data dir size mentioned above to do a reasonable backup (Full). within a  reasonable time window
iv)  without over provisioning and underprovisioning what should be the ideal connectivity and its bandwidth requirement to avoid network errors and intermittent  disconnection of links  if any?

v ) Need to perform at least one full backup in a week

Any suggestions much appreciated

Thank you ,
Krishane