Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Planet Postgres and the curse of AI

I wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-07-17 at 13:21 -0400, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > I've been noticing a growing trend of blog posts written mostly, if not entirely, with AI
> > (aka LLMs, ChatGPT, etc.). I'm not sure where to raise this issue. I considered a blog post,
> > but this mailing list seemed a better forum to generate a discussion.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Do we need a policy or a guideline for Planet Postgres? I don't know. It can be a gray line.
> > Obviously spelling and grammar checking is quite okay, and making up random GUCs is not,
> > but the middle bit is very hazy. (Human) thoughts welcome.
>
> As someone who writes blogs and occasionally browses Planet Postgres, this has not
> struck me as a major problem.  I just scrolled through it and nothing stood out to
> me - perhaps I am too naïve.

Seems like I *was* naïve - Álvaro has pointed me to a juicy example off-list.

Still, I wouldn't make a policy specifically against AI generated content.  That is
hard to prove, and it misses the core of the problem.  The real problem is low-level,
counterfactual content, be it generated by an AI or not.

Perhaps there could be a way to report misleading, bad content and a policy that says
that you can be banned if you repeatedly write grossly misleading and counterfactual
content.  Stuff like "to improve performance, set fast_mode = on and restart the database".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe