Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Reset sequence to current maximum value of rows

On Thu, 13 Jun 2024, David G. Johnston wrote:

You need to show your work here.  As your PK is a number it cannot have a
company name as a value and so this doesn't make sense.

David,

insert into companies (company_nbr,company_name,industry,status) values
(DEFAULT,'new company name','Industry','Opportunity')

With DEFAULT as the company_nbr why can't the company_name not have a value?

It didn't...

I changed the company_name for all company_nbr using the 'new company name'
for all rows with 'Industry' in that column.

And how to I reset sequences to ignore all current values
This doesn't make sense...

Then I cannot use the sequence for adding new rows in the table and I must
manually enter each PK number?

If you use the default when inserting the next value in the sequence is
used.

Yes, that's the theory. It didn't work for me and why it didn't is what I
want to understand.

Regards,

Rich