Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question on trigger

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 at 21:44, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/13/24 00:03, veem v wrote:
> Thank you Adrian.
>
> So it seems the heavy DML tables will see an impact if having triggers
> (mainly for each row trigger) created on them.
>
> And also the bulk DML/array based insert (which inserts multiple rows in
> one short or one batch) , in those cases it seems the trigger will not
> make that happen as it will force it to make it happen row by row, as
> the trigger is row based. Will test anyway though.

You said you have triggers in the Oracle database and I assumed they
worked and where not a show stopping issue there. What makes you think
that would be different in Postgres?

What type of triggers where there in Oracle, per row, per statement or a
mix?

Actually we have row level triggers  in oracle which are running for smaller volume DML and are making the direct path inserts to happen in conventional row by row insert, in presence of trigger. So was wondering if it postgres we will be encountering a similar issue and batch inserts may be converted back to row by row automatically. And here we are going to process higher volume DMLS in postgresql database.