Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Failure of postgres_fdw because of TimeZone setting

Dear Adrian,

On 05. Apr 2024, at 17:05, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The below is cut down from the actual output as there should be at least:

Europe/Berlin  CEST  02:00:00 t

present also?

Correct! That entry also exists. I only included the snippet
where I would have expected the "UTC" entry to be.

1) For the long term contact whomever is in charge of the remote server and ask them what they have done with the timezones, why and can they fix it?

This will probably be long term indeed. But I am curious and want
to see if I can get some information from the responsible
person(s).

2) In short term per the link from your first post and with no guarantees:

https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/936e3fa3787a51397280c1081587586e83c20399/contrib/postgres_fdw/connection.c#L677

In the source code change

do_sql_command(conn, "SET timezone = 'UTC'");

do_sql_command(conn, "SET timezone = 'Universal'");

As from the link: "Set remote timezone; this is basically just cosmetic"

Then recompile the extension.

Thank you, I got around to trying this route and it worked! Now I
just have to tinker around a bit to see how I can best include
the modified extension into the Docker image, but that is a task
I can grapple with outside of this mailing list. :-)

I am happy to have learned a few things and thank you for your
help tom and Adrian.

Kind regards,

Adnan Dautovic