Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Some advice need after a 20 year gap after Ingres/GUIs

On 4/10/24 03:11, John Bateson wrote:
Good morning,

The end of my working life was taken up with developing and supporting a Scientific Research establishment near Warrington in the UK. I had a small team of programmer who did an excellent job for me and with me.

The software was Ingres and the main program supporting user administration on a Synchrotron was built  under OpenROAD with other developments around the on-site stores and finance  using ABF since the stores workers found this much faster than a GUI! There was also some web development use .Net practises.

This was a quite complex system in the end with nearly 200 tables.

We ended up using Ingres Replicator with the intention of running it from two sites 180 miles apart – at the time it was a pile of *notquitegoodenough*! This was early this century so Actian may have made some improvements since then…

So much for the background to establish that I am not a complete newbie, just out of the loop for a while.

*Using Postgres and PGAdmin -4*.

So, 20 years later I am developing, (unpaid) a new project for some historic railways in the UK and linking these to the development and design of a range of kits for those interested in model railways. This is getting towards 20 tables so far.

What I really need is a recommendation for the current and best practice for an easy GUI that will allow me to press a button without opening up PGAdmin or a black screen, i.e. the traditional .EXE file I can put on a button on the screen on the screen on a Windows 11 based system.

With Postgres or other similar client-server database there will be a need to set up the database server somewhere first, before you get to the GUI interface part.

Are you planning on a single instance of Postgres that folks log in to from multiple locations?

Or do want a stand alone setup that each user has on their machine?

While my programming history goes back to MDBS-4 and beyond I know I have some catching up to do and while not a complete newbie, need something I can work on quickly and intuitively and inexpensively!

So, recommendation and possibly some consensus would be very much appreciated.

And apologies if I have taken up too much of your time or have placed this in the wrong forum.

John

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx