Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Some advice need after a 20 year gap after Ingres/GUIs

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 12:11 PM John Bateson <johnbateson1944@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Using Postgres and PGAdmin -4.

[...]. This is getting towards 20 tables so far.

[...] i.e. the traditional .EXE file I can put on a button on the screen on a Windows 11 based system.

John,

Are you aware of SQLite or DuckDB?
Unlike PostgreSQL, which is an (excellent) client-server RDBMS,
the former two are "embedded" disk-based databases, which are quite capable.
"Deployment" is trivial. And their SQL engine are more sophisticated than most people realize.
Not that I want to turn you away from PostgreSQL, but they do have advantages, FWIW.
Having DBs be a single file on disk easily shared is quite convenient.

The reason I mention it here, is that SQLite for example has tons of ready-made GUIs,
with some of the Windows one being just 1 .exe indeed. Most allow to view the tables
in "Grid UI controls", some allow modifications too. They are not MS Access like, in the
sense that they don't allow writing custom UIs on top of the DB, just view and edit DB
tables. But maybe that's enough for your hobby project?

My $0.02. --DD