Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Timing out A Blocker Based on Time or Count of Waiters

On 3/22/24 12:41, Fred Habash wrote:
Lock tree: All PID's waiting on a lock held by/blocked by single blocker PID. Similar to what you see in the output of this script: https://github.com/dataegret/pg-utils/blob/master/sql/locktree.sql <https://github.com/dataegret/pg-utils/blob/master/sql/locktree.sql> . It uses the dot connotation to draw a tree.

Waiters: The PID (first column) returned by this query, for example

SELECT
     activity.pid,
     activity.usename,
     activity.query,
     blocking.pid AS blocking_id,
     blocking.query AS blocking_query
FROM pg_stat_activity AS activity
JOIN pg_stat_activity AS blocking ON blocking.pid = ANY(pg_blocking_pids(activity.pid));

DDL example: An 'alter table ... alter column ...' would cause all DML and SELECT statements to wait/block.

Hope this answers your question. Thanks for your interest.

Yes.

To me the issue is,

"Facing an issue where sometimes humans login to a database and run DDL statements causing a long locking tree of over 1000 waiters."

where the problem is people running disruptive statements without regard to planning or what else is happening on the database. I am not sure that dropping a statement just based on a count is progress. If the DDL is important then it needs to be run at some point and you are conceivably back at the same blocking issue. This then leads to two possibilities either the DDL is not important and shouldn't be run or it is and some thought and timing needs to be applied before it is run.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 12:32 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 3/22/24 09:25, Fred Habash wrote:
     > Facing an issue where sometimes humans login to a database and
    run DDL
     > statements causing a long locking tree of over 1000 waiters. As a

    The above needs more explanation:

    1) Define locking tree.

    2) Define waiters.

    3) Provide examples of the DDL.