Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Timing out A Blocker Based on Time or Count of Waiters

Lock tree: All PID's waiting on a lock held by/blocked by single blocker PID. Similar to what you see in the output of this script: https://github.com/dataegret/pg-utils/blob/master/sql/locktree.sql . It uses the dot connotation to draw a tree.

Waiters: The PID (first column) returned by this query, for example

SELECT
    activity.pid,
    activity.usename,
    activity.query,
    blocking.pid AS blocking_id,
    blocking.query AS blocking_query
FROM pg_stat_activity AS activity
JOIN pg_stat_activity AS blocking ON blocking.pid = ANY(pg_blocking_pids(activity.pid));

DDL example: An 'alter table ... alter column ...' would cause all DML and SELECT statements to wait/block.

Hope this answers your question. Thanks for your interest.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 12:32 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/22/24 09:25, Fred Habash wrote:
> Facing an issue where sometimes humans login to a database and run DDL
> statements causing a long locking tree of over 1000 waiters. As a

The above needs more explanation:

1) Define locking tree.

2) Define waiters.

3) Provide examples of the DDL.