Search Postgresql Archives

Re: could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted

Greetings,

* Nick Renders (postgres@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> The one thing different about this machine however, is that it runs 2 instances of Postgres:
> - cluster A on port 165
> - cluster B on port 164
> Cluster A is actually a backup from another Postgres server that is restored on a daily basis via Barman. This means that we login remotely from the Barman server over SSH, stop cluster A's service (port 165), clear the Data folder, restore the latest back into the Data folder, and start up the service again.
> Cluster B's Data and service (port 164) remain untouched during all this time. This is the cluster that experiences the intermittent "operation not permitted" issue.
>
> Over the past 2 weeks, I have suspended our restore script and the issue did not occur.
> I have just performed another restore on cluster A and now cluster B is throwing errors in the log again.
>
> Any idea why this is happening? It does not occur with every restore, but it seems to be related anyway.

Not sure why it's happening but they certainly sound related based on
the correlation.

One thing that I suggest doing when you're running multiple independent
PG clusters on the same host is to run them under different users on the
system.  Perhaps if you move cluster B to a distinct user account,
you'll have better luck figuring out what's going on since something
will presumably start throwing permission denied errors.

Not sure if it's an option or not, but you might also consider using
Linux instead of MacOS..

Thanks,

Stephen