Search Postgresql Archives

Re: v11.5- v15.3 upgrade (linux)

Greetings,

On 3/6/24 19:19, David Gauthier wrote:
Hi:
I'm a PG user in a big corp with an IT dept that administers a PG server/instance that I use.  It's an old install, v11.5, and we need to upgrade to v15.3.  They want to bring the upgraded DB up on a new linux vm which has OS upgrades of its own.  So it's a move AND an upgrade. There are 2 concerns....

First has to do with a jump from 11.5 - 15.3 ?  Is it safe to do this given so many major intermediate versions being skipped ?

Generally speaking, it is safe from database point of view but you have to verify that application is working as expected with PostgreSQL 15, driver update, any query performance issues, any deprecate features in use, collation differences, and performance verification, etc.

PostgreSQL supports dump/restore (slow and longer downtime), binary upgrade using pg_upgrade (faster and low downtime), and logical replication (complex and least downtime). Since OS upgrade is also part of the equation, dump/restore or logical  are better candidates. Due to OS collation difference I would avoid binary upgrade path.

--
Kind Regards,
Yogesh Sharma