From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, 28 February 2024 5:09 PM
To: Mark Schloss <Mark.Schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: walreceiver fails on asynchronous replica [EXTERNAL] [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

At Wed, 28 Feb 2024 03:23:37 +0000, Mark Schloss <Mark.Schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> Thank you for your reply. I can confirm there were no changes made to the config of the replica.

Okay.

> Is there any significance in the parameters in the commit record -
> 'inval msgs: catcache 21; sync'.

I think it is not relevant.

> - The walreceiver on the barman server did not fail but the WAL file does not contain the commit transaction

I don't have detailed knowledge of barman's behavior, but it seems to
be quite normal for barman to write out only on receiving a commit
record. What I don't understand here is how those WAL files on the
barman server are related to the failed replicas.

>From the information you provided, I guess that the replicas somehow
obtain the currently-written WAL file from the barman server at a
certain time through a route unknown to me, but you seem to know
that. I think that relationship has not been explained here.

Could you explain the routes and timings that WAL files are copied
between the servers?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Please  note  that  your  email address  is known to  AUSTRAC  for the
purposes  of  communicating with you.  The information  transmitted in
this  e-mail is  for the  use of  the intended  recipient only and may
contain confidential and/or legally  privileged  material. If you have
received  this information  in error you must not disseminate, copy or
take  any  action on  it and we  request that you delete all copies of
this transmission together with attachments and notify the sender.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
the presence of computer viruses.