Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Users and object privileges maintenance

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 3:27 PM Pavel Luzanov <p.luzanov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18.02.2024 15:19, Dominique Devienne wrote:
On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 12:30 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2. In PostgreSQL, there is the important concept of ownership, which is not tied to the schema.
   The owner is the user who created the object.

Personally I find that confusing. I wouldn't mind schema objects all belonging to the one owner.
Or being [able] to enforce that, as an opt-in option. Not sure what's the benefits of different owners for a schemas objects are.
The situation is even more confusing :-)
Roles with membership in object owner role acts as an owner.
For example they can modify or drop object or grant/revoke access to object.

Well, membership in a role mean you can "become that role", no? Thus this seems logical,
and not confusing to me, that you can act as the owner, since you SET ROLE to the owner.
Or am I missing something else? --DD