Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to do faster DML

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 4:17 PM veem v <veema0000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[sni[]
One question here, if we have defined one column as a fixed length data type "integer" and slowly we noticed the length of data keeps increasing (in case of a sequence generated PK column which will keep increasing), and we want to alter the column to "bigint" now. In such scenario, will it append/pad the additional spaces to all the existing values which were already stored  with integer type initially in the table. And that would be then an increase to the existing table storage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN bar BIGINT; rewrites the whole table.  Do yourself a favor, and start with BIGINT.