Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to do faster DML

On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 7:50 AM veem v <veema0000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think that's not much of a concern with PostgreSQL because you can't
update a row in-place anyway because of MVCC.

Good to know. So it means here in postgres, there is no such concern like "row chaining", "row migration" etc.
which we normally have in a non mvcc database (like Oracle say).

Don't confuse MVCC (Multi-Version Concurrency Control), and various DB-specific MVCC implementation details.
BOTH Oracle and PostgreSQL *are* MVCC (read Tom Kyte). But they happen to use very different implementations.
SQLite in WAL mode is also MVCC, but using yet another implementation.
All (MVCC) DBs do it differently, but achieve the same effect; albeit with different trade-offs. --DD