Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Best practices for data buffer cache setting/tuning (v15)

> On Jan 29, 2024, at 11:39, David Gauthier <dfgpostgres@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Is there a document which makes recommendations on sizing data buffer cache, tuning options which evict old/unused data in mem, and cache fragmentation avoidance for a v15.3 DB ?

On any modern system, set shared_buffers to 25% of instance RAM, and get on with life.

I realize that seems glib, but small variations in shared_buffers make almost no significant difference in performance.  There are unusual workloads (like very high insert rate with few queries) that require different settings, but for most typical ELTP or data warehouse workloads, that is sufficient.