Search Postgresql Archives

COBOL PRECOMPILER for PostGreSQL

Hello,

I'm working with the opensource GNUCOBOL project. One of our efforts is to provide a migration path for organizations to move from commercial COBOL compilers to GNUCOBOL. One of the impediments to this migration is to move from an Oracle or IBM RDBMS solution to PostGreSQL. Most organizations are using one of these RDBMS solutions with COBOL precompilers supplied by the vendor and have embedded SQL in their source code. This represents a significant challenge to any migration as there is not a COBOL precompiler for PostGreSQL.

I would like to propose that the ECPG precompiler for C, to be modified to accept either C or COBOL. Another option would be to clone ECPG to work with the COBOL language. For the most of the COBOL variable types it should not be too difficult to convert them to C variables which would reduce the effort. Both of these RDBMS use the syntax similar to C, EXEC SQL ..... END-EXEC, where text between them is the actual SQL statement or variables.

        Thanks for your consideration,
--

Chuck Haatvedt

chuck.haatvedt@xxxxxxxxx