Search Postgresql Archives

Re: replication primary writting infinite number of WAL files

Am 24.11.23 um 13:52 schrieb Les:

Andreas Kretschmer <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote (2023. nov. 24., P, 13:22):

    Am 24.11.23 um 12:39 schrieb Les:

    > Hello,

    please check the database log, a VACUUM can also lead to massive wal
    generation. Can you find other related messages? by the way, the
    picture
    is hard to read, please post text instead of pictures.

First I was also thinking about vacuum.  But removing a replication slot should have no effect on vacuum on the primary (AFAIK). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

yeah, depends. there are 2 processes:

* 1 process generating the wal's, maybe a VACUUM
* an inactive slot holding the wals

For instance, if a standby not reachable the wal's will accumulated within the slot, till the standby is reachable again.

Andreas

--
Andreas Kretschmer - currently still (garden leave)
Technical Account Manager (TAM)