Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Local postgres manual

On 11/3/23 06:33, Bruce Momjian wrote:
But sometimes it may be convenient to view the the manual for the version of Postgres that is on the system, right there. Does one exist?

Well, that's a good question, and a new question for me. I poked though the doc makefile and it turns out that:

    make postgres.txt

creates such a file.  Here is the PG 16 version:

    https://momjian.us/expire/postgres-16.txt

Let me know if you want a different Postgres version.

Thanks very much Bruce - this is really helpful! I've never taken a look at that makefile but will do so.

I will say that, as the manual is quite large, a local GNU Info version would be great to be able to traverse different sections, etc, more easily. If that doesn't exist already, I wonder if a tool like `pandoc` could be employed to generate that.

As others on the thread have suggested, building or fetching the HTML locally may also work. In terminal environment, I suppose one could use `lynx` or similar to navigate around.

- Ben