Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Huge input lookup exception when trying to create the index for XML data type column in postgreSQL

On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 11:39 AM Dominique Devienne <ddevienne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 10:22 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Erik Wienhold <ewie@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Looks like "Huge input lookup" as reported in [1] (also from Sai) and that
> error is from libxml.

Ah, thanks for the pointer.  It looks like for the DOCUMENT case,
we could maybe relax this restriction by passing the XML_PARSE_HUGE
option to xmlCtxtReadDoc().  However, there are things to worry about:

Just a remark from the sidelines, from someone having done a fair bit of XML in years past.

That XPath is simple, and a streaming parser (SAX or StAX) could handle it. While that
XML_PARSE_HUGE option probably applies to a DOM parser. So is there a work-around
to somehow force using a streaming parser instead of one that must produce the whole Document,
just so a few elements are picked out of it? FWIW. --DD

If push comes to shove, the streaming-based extraction can be done outside the DB, stored in a new column
or table, and index that instead. This is in fact exactly the approach I took on one server handling XML I wrote.

To be honest, in my case, the XMLs were never large, so I used rapidxml which is also a DOM parser,
but the same principle applies though, i.e. extract the data from the XML outside the DB using
SAX (push) / StAX (pull), to avoid having a (too) large document in memory at any time (client or server side). --DD