Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Using "exit" to bring "goto" functionality.

> On Jul 10, 2023, at 11:54, Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> What is the rationale for supporting what seems to be on its face this strange functionality?

It allows you to EXIT or CONTINUE a loop that is not the innermost one, by naming the label of an outer loop.

One can debate endlessly whether it's good or bad to include that functionality, but it definitely has use cases.  I would assume that at this point, it's not going anywhere.

The relevant documentation is here:

	https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-CONTROL-STRUCTURES-LOOPS