Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Joins of data-modifying CTE with the target table

Alex Bolenok <quassnoi@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> To answer your question, by "explicitly" I mean mentioning this very
> pattern, where you join the returned id with the target table.

I do not see why this existing example isn't sufficient:

    ... An example of this is that in

    WITH t AS (
        UPDATE products SET price = price * 1.05
        RETURNING *
    )
    SELECT * FROM products;

    the outer SELECT would return the original prices before the action of
    the UPDATE, ...

Yeah, it lacks a JOIN and it's an UPDATE not an INSERT.  But we can't
provide an example to precisely match every possible mistake.  As
Adrian said, brevity in the docs does have value.

			regards, tom lane