Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Joins of data-modifying CTE with the target table

On 4/19/23 09:09, Alex Bolenok wrote:
To reiterate, I (I personally) get why it's not working, but the documentation is something that is intended for people who don't.

Technically, anyone can deduce it from reading the documentation thoroughly enough, but do we need the documentation to be as terse as possible?

Not so much terse as possible as not as verbose as possible. The difference being that documenting every possible usage would turn the page into an eye glazing experience. At that point folks would really just move on. The documentation expectations(as I see it) are that: 1) People can work from basic principles to specific usage. 2) They also actually test/verify what they run.

What you are after is more on the lines of a separate enhanced tutorial. That has been discussed on this list and elsewhere. So far it has not progressed beyond discussion.

To answer your question, by "explicitly" I mean mentioning this very pattern, where you join the returned id with the target table. People often try to use this pattern for queries like "add an item to the order in a CTE, select the order total in the main query", and often don't notice that the order total doesn't include the new item until it hits production.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx