Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Can't connect to server

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 2:11 AM Wu, Abigaile <wuching3@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I am writing to seek your assistance with a problem I am facing while using pgAdmin4. After downloading the PostgreSQL 15, I downloaded the latest version of Pgadmin 4 and then I click the server and choose PostgreSQL 15. Whenever I try to log in to the server after entering my password, I receive the following error message:

"Connection to server at "localhost"(::1), port 5432 failed: could not initiate GSSAPI security context: The operation or option is not available: credential handle

This is probably just a nuisance message.  It thought it might be able to authenticate via Kerberos and so tried that one first, but discovered it couldn't. Unless you know that that is what you were trying to do, you can ignore it.

connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 5432 failed: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"."

Look in the database server's log files to see if there are more details about this authentication error.  When you set up the system, is "postgres" the name you picked for the admin user?  That is the default and most common, but you could have changed it if you wanted to.

Cheers,

Jeff