Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Help? Unexpected PostgreSQL compilation failure using generic compile script

On 13/03/2023 00:02, Adrian Klaver wrote:

On 3/12/23 14:43, Martin Goodson wrote:
Hello.

For reasons I won't bore you with, we compile PostgreSQL from source rather than use the standard packages for some of our databases.

So a fairly basic script that has been used for years suddenly fails on a fairly generic RHEL 7.9 server.

I am no compilation expert. Obviously. Have I mised something basic? As I said, we've not seen problems like this before. Could there be some sort of issue on the box's configuration? If it works for root but not our usual build user could there be a user config with our account? Can anyone offer any insight on what I need to check? At the moment it all seems somewhat ... mystifying.

SELinux issues?

Have you looked at the system logs to see if they shed any light?

Apologies for the delay in replying, it's been a busy week.

After a spot more testing today I found the problem, and an embarrassing one it was too. Can't believe I didn't spot it earlier.

One of my colleagues had earlier used our 'generic build account' to install an older version of PostgreSQL on the same server, and had set the account's PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to that version in the .bash_profile script.  That's something we don't normally do - our 'build account' is deliberately left as a clean slate, as it were.

Bit bizarre it was somehow only causing problems with the compile check on the gssapi and ldap libraries, but there you go.

Feel a bit of a twit now, but definitely something I'll be explicitly checking beforehand on future compiles :(

--
Martin Goodson.

"Have you thought up some clever plan, Doctor?"
"Yes, Jamie, I believe I have."
"What're you going to do?"
"Bung a rock at it."