Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is the PL/pgSQL refcursor useful in a modern three-tier app?

> adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> bryn@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>
>>> You seem to think that a client request corresponds to a single database request
>>
>> …I can’t picture a concrete use case where, not withstanding the "where" restriction that my "select" used, I can't tell how much of the result set I'll need or where reading result #n1 informs me that I next need to scroll and read result #n2. So I was looking for a convincing example.
>
> Huh?
>
> You provided your own example earlier:
>
> "Of course, it all falls into place now. I can see how I could write a client app in, say, Python to write a humongous report to a file by fetching manageably-sized chunks, time and again until done with a function like my "g()" here, from a cursor that I'd opened using a function like my "f()"."

My “Humongous report via client-side Python” example doesn’t call for me to abandon it part way through. Nor does it call for me to leap forwards as I discover facts along the way that make me realize that I need immediately to see a far distant fact by scrolling to where it is (and especially by scrolling backwards to what I’ve already seen). It was an example of this that I was asking for. The bare ability to do controlled piecewise materialization and fetch is clear.