Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Multiple core dump errors are thrown by initdb when Huge pages are enabled in OS and huge_pages is set to “off” in postgresql.conf.sample in Kubernetes.

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 05:44:53AM +0000, M Tarkeshwar Rao wrote:

> We are facing following issue with postgres db with Kubernetes. Is huge pages
> not supported in Kubernetes environment?
> Multiple core dump errors are thrown by initdb when Huge pages are enabled in
> OS and huge_pages is set to “off” in postgresql.conf.sample in Kubernetes.
> In this case, the initdb utility exists with code, success message is also
> printed in its logs and DB server is started successfully.
>
> Queries:
> How can this issue be fixed?
> If no, can these errors be ignored or is there any repercussion of these
> errors, since DB is initialized & started successfully.
>
> NOTE: If we do not set huge_pages to “off”, and use its default value, then
> db is also not starting.

FTR this has already been reported a few weeks ago, see
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/17757-dbdfc1f1c954a6db%40postgresql.org.

You can also look at https://commitfest.postgresql.org/42/4143/ (and maybe
test) as a possible fix that could be backpatched to released versions.