Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_dump'ed file contains "DROP DATABASE"

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:24:23 -0800 Adrian Klaver wrote:

>On 2/20/23 11:36, pf@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Notwithstanding the man page, my take is that the DROP DATABASE statement
>> needs to be eliminated at pg_dump creation by pgAdmin4.  Taking this to
>> that mailing list.
>
>It just dawned on me you might be doing all of this through the
>pgAdmin4 GUI.

Sorry for any confusion...  I get it now...

A team member uses pgAdmin4 to load separate table(s) into his DB; then
creates dump files (one per table) of those _individual_ tables which are
uploaded to me.

I maintain a complete set of tables in my DB. pgAdmin4 is never used
here; the restore is done with a simple bash script which inserts the
dbname and dumpfile name into the command. Those restore tables should
only be created with DROP DATABASE _off_.

All that should happen with my DB is to add these tables (99.9% of the
time, they are totally new to me).

A DROP DATABASE from the one-table per dumpfile creator is UNwanted.

Looks like I really did dodge a bullet...

>Again the default is to not include those options.

Glad to know pgAdmin4 has those switches.

Thanks again!!