Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to use the BRIN index properly?

As I explained in my question that is indeed our dilemma. Our insertion order will not be equal to index order. i.e., referring to your response:

> who's data is added in the same order as the key in the BRIN index

does NOT hold.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 12:27 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is the data in your tables stored in natural correlation with those three columns?  I'm dubious that can even happen.

BRIN is best for range queries on tables who's data is added in the same order as the key in the BRIN index (for example, a BRIN index on a timestamp field in a log table where new records are always being appended in "timestamp" order).

It would also be great for history tables where you can pre-sort the data by, for example, customer_id, and then put the BRIN on customer_id.