Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to use the BRIN index properly?

our insertion order is of course != index order otherwise the question would have been trivial.
we use postgres 14

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 11:51 AM Siddharth Jain <siddhsql@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

We have large tables with billions of rows in them and want to take advantage of the BRIN index on them.

Issues we are facing:
  • as I understand, BRIN index is useful only if the data is stored in index order. As an example we want to create a composite BRIN index on 3 columns - integers and strings (varchar). How can we tell Postgres to store data in index order as new records are inserted into the database?
  • i understand that turning on autosummarize will keep the index fresh and up-to-date as new records are inserted. is this correct?
Thanks for your help.

S.