Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Quoting issue from ODBC

Title: Quote Signature
On 2/7/2023 6:19 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 2/7/23 16:10, Brad White wrote:
Front end: Access 365
Back end: Postgres 9.4
(I know, we are in the process of upgrading)

I'm getting some cases where the SQL sent from MS-Access is failing.
Looking at the postgres log shows that the field names and table names are not being quoted properly.
It has been my experience that Access usually does a better job at converting the queries than I would have expected, but not in this instance.

For example

Access: connection.Execute "UPDATE [" & strTable & "] SET [" & strTable & "].[InsertFlag] = Null" _
     & " WHERE ((([" & strTable & "].[InsertFlag])=" & lngCurrUID & "));", , adCmdText Or adExecuteNoRecords
Note that InsertFlag is bracketed the same way in both instances.

PSQL: UPDATE "public"."Orders" SET InsertFlag=NULL  WHERE ("InsertFlag" = 166 )
Note that InsertFlag is quoted once but not the other time.
Of course this gives the error: column "insertflag" of relation "Orders" does not exist at character 35.

Looks like I have about 16 unique instances of statements not being quoted correctly resulting in over 500 errors in the log for today.

Where these preexisting queries or where they created today?

These queries are decades old but I don't view this log file very often, so I don't know how long.

I'll review when I get back on site Thursday and see if I can find any users that are not getting the error or when it started.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks,
Brad.

--
I talk with clients, find out where their pain points are, and solve those.
On-call IT Management for small companies and non-profits.

Quote of the Day
   There is a huge difference between fathering a child and being a father.
   One produces a child. The other produces an adult.
    -- John Eldredge