Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Best Open Source OS for Postgresql

On 2/1/23 9:22 AM, Bob Jolliffe wrote:
I have generally favoured ubuntu LTS editions over the years, more out of familiarity than any particular good technical reason.  In the past, postgresql on FreeBSD would have been my first goto, but it's harder to get freebsd skills out on the market than ubuntu/debian linux.

I do have one gripe about the packaged postgis packages : the list of dependencies seem quite enormous.  For example, the previous poster mentions 234MB.  I find the list of dependencies a little baffling and disconcerting.

It is a big program that covers a lot of ground. What is disconcerting is that you see the dependencies called out instead of being wrapped into a blob.

Not going to make much difference to the dependencies but this:

sudo apt install postgis=3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg20.04+1

should actually be:

sudo apt install postgresql-12-postgis-3=3.0.3+dfsg-2.pgdg20.04+1

The first form has a dependency on the latest Postgres, so will want to install Postgres 15.

Regards
Bob

--
Adrian Klaver