To: <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: Data entry - forms design or other APIs etc. - what is there?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 06:19:53PM -0600, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
On Friday 21 January 2005 12:55 pm, Chris Green wrote:
[snip question]

Many languages have the capacity to access PostgreSQL databases including Python (with PyGreSQL), Perl (with DBI), PHP (compile in support), Delphi and Java (with JDBC) to name a few. The selection of GUI tools for forms depends upon the language.

Yes, I was hoping for a bit more help than just a language interface
but if I have to I'll go down that route.

You can also use other databases applications that make use of ODBC
links such as MS Access and Paradox.  (Attempts with Lotus Approach
failed horribly.)  At work, I've used MS Access to create several
front-end applications to PostgreSQL database servers.

Now that *is* a possibility, I have Access at least.  Though that
prevents me making a totally Linux based application.

Gnumeric, a spreadsheet application, is supposed to be able to access
several databases natively (not odbc) via gnomedb.  I've gotten gnomedb
to connect to the database; but I can't find any documentation as to
how to get the data into the spreadsheet.

Those might be useful too, thanks.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

   "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."