Search Postgresql Archives

Re: lippq client library and openssl initialization: PQinitOpenSSL()

On 11.09.22 23:43, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
On 11 Sep 2022, at 23:35, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@xxxxxxxx> writes:
On 11 Sep 2022, at 17:08, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't believe so.  The HAVE_CRYPTO_LOCK stuff is all obsolete and
not compiled if you built against 1.1.0.  The only thing left that
will happen if you don't call PQinitOpenSSL is an extra call to
OPENSSL_init_ssl, which should be harmless as far as I can see
from the OpenSSL docs.

To the best of my knowledge, thats entirely correct.

Should we document these functions as obsolete when using
OpenSSL >= 1.1.0 ?

Given that 1.1.0+ is very common, it's probably not a bad idea to document them
as obsolete but harmless.  Unless you beat me to it I can propose a patch.

AFAICT, RHEL 7 ships with an older version. I think that's still pretty widespread.