Search Postgresql Archives

Bind Parameter is Too Big

I support a system where staff use a PowerBuilder 2019R3 app that enters data into a Postgres 12 database, generates SQL statements for the data and saves them as text files. Staff uses another PB2019R3 app to populate a Sybase ASE 15.7 database with the generated SQL statement files. Other staff then uses a PB2019R3 app to pipe the data to a master Sybase ASE 15.7 database. At the beginning of each week that data is piped via PB2019R3 app to another Sybase ASE 15.7 database. The inspectors then update their Postgres database with all inspectors' data via another PB2019R3 app that pipes the data from Sybase to Postgres.

  • Yes, I understand how absurd the system is. I just inherited it and am supporting it until we can replace it.

I recently updated two comment columns in two tables, both on the Sybase and Postgres sides, from varchar (255) to varchar(1000). The app can succesfully input data with up to 1000 characters to the updated columns in Postgres. The generated SQL statement files can insert the data into the first Sybase database, the data successfully pipes to the master Sybase database, and then successfully pipes that to the other Sybase database . However, when trying to pipe the data from Sybase to Postgres I get the error "Bind Parameter for value :9 is Too Big (2000)." The comment column is the 9th column.

I checked the data and verified it isn't over the 1000 character limit. I tried deleting out 13 of the 1000 characters, and the error this time was "Bind Parameter for value :9 is Too Big (1976)."

Via Appeon’s support forums I worked out getting the pipe to work in the PowerBuilder IDE by enabling staticbind and disablebind. In this view, I can get a connection string to use in the app’s configuration file. However, using this connection string in the app’s configuration file still doesn’t work when running the pipe in the app.

Connection string is: DBParm=ConnectString='DSN=WM_LT_User;UID=user;PWD=password',PBCatalogOwner='user',DelimitIdentifier='Yes',DisableBind=1

Appeon is claiming it is a Postgres issue and so I am inquiring here. I am hoping someone can help steer me in the right direction to get this pipe working.

Thanks

Matt Kluzak

Technology Director

North Dakota Public Service Commission

600 E Boulevard Ave

Dept 408 13th Floor

Bismarck, ND  58505-0480

Phone: 701-328-4075

This transmission, email and any files transmitted with it, may be: (1) subject to the Attorney-Client Privilege, (2) an attorney work product, or (3) strictly confidential under federal or state law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you may not use, disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information. If you have received this transmission in error, notify the sender (only) and delete the message. This message may also be subject to disclosure under the North Dakota Open Records Laws.