Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Password reset link / 'less' does not exit in psql version 13.4

On 7/25/22 10:37 AM, Michael J. Baars wrote:

Reply to list also
Ccing list

Use 'man more', manual pages are your friend.

I did, I just picked the wrong version. Got an the manual for ancient version of more.

    "Normally, less doesn't quit until you type "q". You can make it
    quit as
    soon as it reaches the end of the file by using the -E option. However,
    many (but not all) people prefer to have less remain active until they
    explicitly quit, because they might wish to back up and look at earlier
    parts of the file again. "

Scroll-back buffers do not work using less as the psql piping command. Try more, talk less, Adrian.

As far back as I can remember they have. When I work with Postgres I live in psql. Not only can I scroll forward and backward I can use vim shortcuts gg(start of buffer), G(end of file), /<search term>. j(cursor down one line), k(up one line), etc.

    I'm betting that between Fedora 35 and 36 the project changed the
    configuration of `less` to follow the normal pattern.

-- Adrian Klaver
    adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>

--
Adrian Klaver