Search Postgresql Archives

Re: External psql editor

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, Francisco Olarte wrote:

I do a similar thing, but normally edit queries in an editor window and
just use selection or clipboard to paste them into the xterm where I have
psql running. I also used joe a lot ( its key sequences where easy coming
from wordstar(cp/m->msdos) ).

Francisco,

Joe can also be configured to use emacs chords which lets my fingers use the
same keys in both editors. :-)

What do you mean by "here"? IIRC PSQL_EDITOR sets the editor for \e, not
for the psql command line. For that you could try writing a binding for
readline ( which you could also use in bash if you like them ) with the
joe keyseqs, but I fear it's editing model is a nit different.

I've done "PSQL_EDITOR=joe psql" to refresh my memory and it is in
fact as I remembered.

The use of joe AS EDITOR for a single command can be done with the above
method. The use of joe keys for editting the normal psql line would
probably require readline wizardry.

I've read joe has slave shell sessions. Other thing you could try ( I've
done it with emacs shell mode ) is use that, but I fear it only works well
with single line queries. Or look if it has some kind of sql modes (
interactive sql, not sql-script-syntax-highlight ).

Good information. Thanks. I'll dig into joe and see what's possible.

Regards,

Rich